[Spellyans] <y>, <i>, etc

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Sat Jul 26 20:11:54 IST 2008

At 19:14 +0100 2008-07-26, Eddie Climo wrote:

>If we can create new words in Cornish for new technology, then we
>can equally well resuscitate archaice words, and either restore
>their old meanings or add new ones to them.

In the case of the words for 'river' and 'valley', however, we don't
have to resuscutate archaic words. The corpus shows that Cornishmen
who spoke Cornish as a living tongue used "ryver" and "valy" -- while
they preserved "nans" and "avon" in other contexts.

I don't see the problem. What Nicholas (who has read every bit of the
corpus many, many, many times) has done is simply to indicate what,
in traditional Cornish, the domains of use for these four words were.

Revivalists could do worse than use attested Cornish words as their
forebears did.