[Spellyans] <y>, <i>, etc

nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 20:19:20 IST 2008

Of course nans is part of the Cornish vocabulary, but
there is no evidence that the word was used in Middle or Late
Cornish when talking about a valley (outside the place-name
itself). If nans had been the ordinary word,
Jordan would have written *nans Ebron not valy Ebron.
I assume that the English borrowing valy had replaced nans in that
context,
exactly as cothman, fas, rom, swan, profet had by the 16th century
replaced
car, enep, stevel, alargh and profus.
Tota Cornicitas means that we can use the attested valy in preference
to the unattested unbound morpheme nans.

Nicholas