[Spellyans] attestations

Craig Weatherhill weatherhill at freenet.co.uk
Sun Jul 27 07:23:46 IST 2008

With due respect to all, and the principle of tota Cornicitas, may I
suggest that we allow both valy and nans in our vocabulary.  Along with
ryver and awan, and the other alternatives mentioned by Nicholas.  I
agree with him that Kemmyn users will not like the loan words but, if it
can be shown that a word was used in traditional Cornish (including
toponyms), then its inclusion in the language's vocabulary must surely
be justified.  This practice increases, and therefore enriches, the
language and, after all, what is so wrong with loan words?  Modern
English includes so many of them that it could be viewed as the original
Esperanto, and no user of English seems to mind (in fact, many are
unaware of the loan words they frequently use).

That some Cornish users resent the loan-words from English is quite
ridiculous when you consider the fact that many words accepted as
traditional Cornish by all are, in fact, loans from other languages.
For one example out of hundreds: gwedren, "glass", derived from Latin
"vitrinus".