[Spellyans] <y>, <i>, etc

nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 10:49:10 IST 2008

Apart from the toponym Valy Ebron there are, as far as I am aware, no
examples in the texts of valy 'valley'. There are no examples of nans
'valley' in the texts either.
Since the author of CW wrote Valy Ebron for the new toponym Valy of
Hebron, it seems to me (without further evidence) that his ordinary
word for 'valley' was valy.
This I take to be similar to

hag orth an ryuer surly a josselyne chapel guthel me a vyn BM 1141-43

where ryuer is used in a new toponym an ryuer a josselyne but the same
word is also used as an unbound form in:

Neb a crisse ynna ve kepar dell levar an scribis, ryvars a thowre a ra
resek in mes anetha y TH 53.

Nicholas