[Spellyans] <y>, <i>, etc

nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 10:55:21 IST 2008

Of course it is a calque. The English vale of Hebron is itself calqued
on valle Hebron which St Jerome based on עֵמֶק חֶבְרוֹן
('emeq hevron) in the Hebrew.

  But the fact that the scribe of CW  writes valy ebron not *nans
ebron, means that the word valy was already in his Cornish, just as
vale was in English and vallis (ablative valle) was in Latin.

Nicholas