[Spellyans] 'Valley' in Cornish

Eddie Climo eddie_climo at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jul 28 18:05:20 IST 2008

On 28 Jul 2008, at 12:54, nicholas williams wrote:

> It is not astonishing therefore that the plural nanssow occurs in PA.

Well, it astonished me that, after all the denials, 'nans' IS in fact
attested in the texts as a noun -- at least, in the plural. Would we
be safe, I wonder, in extrapolating the singular noun from this
solitary plural citation?

> By the sixteenth century, when the original version of CW was
> written, nans had probably been replaced in speech by valy.

Is there any evidence for this statistical assertion? If so, would
you care to give a numerical approximation to the probability?

Eddie