[Spellyans] 'Valley' in Cornish

Jon Mills j.mills at email.com
Tue Jul 29 09:27:05 IST 2008

I think that you are being a bit hard on Nicholas, Eddie. It is very easy
to overlook an attestation and it is very difficult to be sure that you
have found all attestations of a given lexical item. There is no shame in
being corrected for an oversight. I, myself, have been corrected several
times on this list, for which I am grateful. Yes I think that we would be
safe "in extrapolating the singular noun from this solitary plural
citation". It is only a question of removing the plural ending, -OW.
Furthermore NANS is attested in place names. It is difficult to see how
the singular of "nanssow" could be anything other than 'nans'.Jon