[Spellyans] valley in Cornish

Craig Weatherhill weatherhill at freenet.co.uk
Tue Jul 29 11:08:54 IST 2008

I have my doubts that rosh means "valley".  I think that it is a variant
of ros, which, in toponyms, has a whole variety of translations,
depending upon location (and none of these is "heathland", by the way).
Ros originally meant "promontory", then "uncultivated coastal slope".
The "promontory" meaning extended to "hillspur, point of elevated land
where two valleys meet" and then also to include "uncultivated
valleyside", in line with the "uncultivated coastal slope" meaning.  Ros
was also applied to an area of uncultivated roughland surrounded by
farmland (which is my "roughland" translation).  I think that references
to rosh might be "uncultivated valleyside", rather than "valley".

When producing my "Place Names in Cornwall and Scilly" book, I had to
take a good look at each site with a Ros- name in order to work out
which meaning of the word applied.

Craig