[Spellyans] valley in Cornish

Eddie Climo eddie_climo at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jul 29 18:34:14 IST 2008

On 29 Jul 2008, at 13:23, Jon Mills wrote:
> Lhuyd (AB: 169b, 297b) gives the word 'rosh' glossing Latin
> 'Vallis' and English 'A vally or dale'.  Lhuyd (AB: 32a) gives the
> word 'rôs' glossing English 'A Mountain-meadow or Moss'.

I notice from the 'Geiriadur Mawr'  Welsh 'rhos' = E. moor, plain, to
which the Spurrel-Anwyl adds E. heath, champaign.

Dinneen gives Irish 'ros' = E. a wood, copse; a point, promontory,
bluff, isthmus; a level tract of arable land --

---- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----

Concerning my response to Nicholas about the use of C. 'nans', Jon
commented
> I think that you are being a bit hard on Nicholas . . .
and I apologise if my words caused unintended offence.

For what it's worth, my position about the lexicon of Cornish is
that, if a word is attested --even just once-- in the historical
corpus (and is not an evident macaronic intrusion, such as 'hic
pomabit ...') then it's valid to use it in Revived Cornish.This
covers everything from lexemes in the OCV, right through to the
latest of Late Cornish writings.

Inevitabley, this makes RC a diachronic mixture of words that would
not have existed synchronically, but the written record is too scanty
and too fragmentary to allow us such an overfine sense of
discrimination. We cannot afford to discard sections of the
historical lexicon on such a basis.

Also, we must remember that RC is intended for modern users, not for
Celticists.

In a similar way, words and idioms that have existed in RC for one or
two generations have gained a measure of validity, irrespective of
whether or not they're historically attested. This is easiest to see
in obvious modern neologisms for, say, new technology, but it
appllies equally well (in my opinion) to older concepts as well that
have adapted for modern use.

I would apply this principle fairly liberally to the RC literature of
UC, UCR and RLC, as they are based more or less closely on
traditional Cornish. By contrast, the KK corpus should be approached
with greater caution, since its creators explicitly turn their backs
on so much of the traditional language, its spelling, phonology,
grammar, syntax and idiom. Nonetheless, its lexicon contains items of
value which should be conserved.

That, for me, is 'Tota Cornicitas': all periods, all records, from
the OCV to the 21st century, from miracle play to comic strip, from
parchment to podcast! (albeit with some caveats, of course).

I accept that others take a less 'laisser faire' view of this issue,
but I assert that it's healthy for the Revival that there should be
the 'dynamic tension' caused by such diversity of opinion. Without
the conservative, scholastic traditionalists, our language is
rootless and shallow -- without the innovative, revivalist
modernisers, it stagnates and dies again.

With both, it can flourish and grow!

Eddie Foirbeis Climo
Dres ethom akennow byner re bons lyeshes
Accenti non multiplicanda praeter necessitatem