[Spellyans] Late Cornish adaptations

Eddie Climo eddie_climo at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 31 18:16:47 IST 2008

On 31 Jul 2008, at 13:46, Owen Cook wrote:

> I'm curious to hear what list members think of the following
> adaptations of the SWF for Late Cornish.
>
> * <ei> in words like hei, crei, chei

Yuk!

> * <oa> in words like broas, gwloan, cloav.

No, I won't use that either.

> * <ow> in words like own 'correct'.

Nor that.

> In all of these cases, it appears to me that the SWF has chosen to
> ignore the opportunity to devise umbrella graphs, leaving us with a
> rather clumsier system than we might have had otherwise. Any opinions?

Your conclusion sounds about right to me.

Given a 'take-it-or-leave-it' choice of this sort of 'fuk-Gernewek',
I'd just stick with the UC/R that I've already learnt, and leave the
SWF to go its own sweet way.

And, were KS to adopt such horrid conventions, I'd reject that too.

Eddie