[Spellyans] jangye-ryn

Penny Squire pennysquire at ymail.com
Thu Jul 31 21:53:29 IST 2008

Craig,
I may still be a little jet-lagged (or possibly sampan-lagged!) but I can't find any response from you to my comments on jangye-ryn (see below, to save you digging through the archives) and I am curious as to your view on my suggestion.
As a compensation for letting myself in for an unexpected trip East on top of the expected ten days elsewhere I'm now taking four weeks off, so can catch up on Cornish stuff - you guys have been busy!
Really sorry to hear about Larnie, Craig. I had to face losing a horse in my teens and it still twists me inside.
Penny

Craig,

Jangye-ryn cannot  be 'ice-house'!

What would an ice-house be doing near Winnianton, a modest farm on the
cliffs north of Mullion? As far as I know, only manor houses and such
could afford to have ice-houses built, plus all the time, trouble and
expense of hauling ice in winter, mixing with salt, etc.  Pencarrow had
one, built in the early 1800s, I don't know of any other in Cornwall,
but there may have been some.  I doubt if ice houses were known in
Cornwall much before then, and this place name is surely older.

Jangye-ryn almost certainly is jynnji-rynn or
jynnji-run (engine house [on a] promontory, or engine house [on a]
slope) - with both the 'j' and the 'g' of 'jangye' pronounced as in
'jail'. It has an 'a' where one would expect a 'y' or an 'i'
admittedly, but that's Cornish place names for you!

And, of course, the word order is Cornish.

I do hope that this example of historical sloppy spelling by some unknown
scribe/cartographer does not encourage any more theories about vocalic alternation
or dialects.

Penny

Subject: Re: [Spellyans] More on bys/bes words and diacritical marks

No, yeth should not be pronounced that way (and the only attested form
of that word is, in fact <eyth> in Tregear).  The soft j or zh sound for
initial Y is confined to very few words, of which yeyn and yet are the
most commonly found..  I think this also turns up in the coastal name
Jangye-ryn (Gunwalloe) which (apart from having suffered reversal to an
English word order) appears to contain the compound yeyn-jy (ice-house,
cold store).