[Spellyans] Late Cornish adaptations

Craig Weatherhill weatherhill at freenet.co.uk
Thu Jul 31 23:16:43 IST 2008

Kernewek was Nance's own invention and is unattested.  UCR uses Kernowek
(which is attested); RLC uses Kernuack and Kernuak, both of which are
also attested.  <ow> is supported by the only known instance of the word
for "Scillonian", which appears in the Borough Accounts for St Ives
1523.  These include a man described as "John Thomas, Sullouk", which
would appear to represent *Sillowek, Sullowek.   Syllan and Sillan
(Isles of Scilly) are both attested but one has to bear in mind that the
islands are almost certainly named after the Celtic goddess Sulis
"watcher", also found at Bath (Aquae Sulis), and pronounced "SIL-is".
The Roman occupation forces also adopted her and equated her with a
goddess of their own, calling her "Sulis Minerva".

Craig