[Spellyans] Front unrounded vowels, was: The quantity system

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Wed Jun 25 14:47:25 BST 2008

At 16:29 +0300 2008-06-25, Owen Cook wrote:
>2008/6/24 Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com> rug scrifa:
>>  It's not a trick. It's true.
>
>But by this argument, <ö> and <ü> (and also <ä>, which can be /{/ or
>/E/) are exactly not what <ÿ> and <ë> are meant to be in the newest
>KS. The German umlaut characters are umbrella graphs. <ÿ> and <ë>
>alternate with each other.

I didn't say it was a perfect analogy. Yes, the
German umlaut characters are umbrella graphs. We
used to have an umbrella graph <ei> for the
bÿs/bës words. When we had that, we didn't have a
problem with the res-class or the bys-class
words. When we lost the umbrella graph <ei> we
re-acquited those problems.

But my analogy is not all that bad either. <ë> is
an umbrella graph: <bës> may be read [be:z] or
[bi:z] depending on the reader's dialect. And
likewise, <ÿ> is an umbrella graph: <bÿs> may be
read [bi:z] or [be:z] depending on the reader's
dialect. That the choice of one or the other is
an alternation up to the writer is just a bit of
redundancy, but we inherited <bys>~<bes> that
from the SWF.

The diaeresis does not have an "inherent meaning"
that restricts it in any way from the solution
proposed. We can use it for whatever we want. We
are using grave for anomalous short vowels (and
<`y> is unavailable in Mac Roman and Windows 1252
fonts anyway). We are using circumflex for
anomalous long vowels (and <^y> is unavailable in
Mac Roman and Windows 1252 fonts anyway). Acute
is not advantageous (since <´y> is unavailable in
Mac Roman fonts) -- I don't see a better solution.

By the way, there are other y-letters in Unicode.
Vietnamese has a y-tilde and y-with-dot-below.

There is a y-with-dot-above, just like Lhuyd
used, and an e-with-dot-above used in Lithuanian.
Cool! Wouldn't that be splendidly authentic! But
I don't recommend these either, because they will
not be found in tens of thousands of Mac Roman or
Windows 1252 fonts.