[Spellyans] The quantity system

Craig Weatherhill weatherhill at freenet.co.uk
Tue Jun 24 14:23:30 IST 2008

And, as I've said many times, Lhuyd is our ONLY guide to Cornish
phonology that was recorded when the language was still a community
vernacular.  What the phonology was prior to that period remais an
unknown.  We can guess, based upon rhymes etc., but even English poetry
has approximate rhyming values.  My view would be to use Jordan as the
basis for orthography (retaining the scribal tradition which disappears
under Gwavas, Boson, etc, who never apparently saw any traditional
Cornish writings but wrote the language as they heard it), but Lhuyd as
the basis for phonology.  Dick Gendall's "The Pronunciation of Cornish",
which is a examination of Lhuyd's phonetic code, is a vital document.
Further to Late Cornish orthogrphy, more emphasis needs to be placed
upon Keigwin's writings.  Although a contemporary of the Bosons, he was
a linguistic scholar and was familiar with textual material.  His own
variation on the last 16 lines of Jordan scarcely varies from the
orthography that Jordan himself used (and that only around 70 years
previously).  For me, Jordan/Keigwin IS the true orthography of Late
Cornish, rather than the reconstructed spellings used by those several
Late scribes who never saw traditional Cornish writing.

Craig