[Spellyans] The quantity system

Jon Mills j.mills at email.com
Tue Jun 24 14:42:09 IST 2008

There are examples of [I:] to be found in AB:
rŷdh: Plobm rŷdh, Sinople, red lead or vermilion [91a]. This also found with short vowel: Risk ha reden rydh, Bark and red Fern [229a]

Bŷth: Bŷth ni, Never [249a]. Aụoz tra vŷth, Above any thing [249b]. vŷth, At all [249a]. Ni – vŷth, Never [249a]. ‘Byth’ without circumflex is not attested in AB. However it does alternate with Bêth and veth [244c].

ŷz: Pedn ŷz, An Ear of Corn. This item provides a minimal contrast pair with the verbal particle, ‘yz’; Yz eziz a kîl hụêl ẏmma.

bŷz: Gụyn agan bŷz [250b].

Jon