[Spellyans] The quantity system

Jon Mills j.mills at email.com
Tue Jun 24 17:01:25 IST 2008

In the 2 pronunciations [Os'tri:@] and ['Ostrja] the word stress is placed on different syllables. So we have [i:@] in a stressed syllable and [ja] in an unstressed syllable. Given that ryal/rial is monosyllabic, the diphthong would, according to this rule, be [i:@]. However that implies that the diphthongs [i:@] and [ja] are in complementary distribution. If that is the case, then we can write <ia> for both and say that <ia> is pronounced [i:@] when it is word stressed and [ja] when it is word unstressed.
Jon