[Spellyans] Front unrounded vowels, was: The quantity system

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Tue Jun 24 18:30:30 IST 2008

At 18:16 +0100 2008-06-24, A. J. Trim wrote:
>For what it is worth, my preference would be for <ei> rather than <ë> or
><ÿ>.

We in UdnFormScrefys liked it too, but it was
rejected very very vehemently by the KK members
of the AHG. In fact we very nearly didn't win the
"right" to write <dedh> alongside <dydh>.

>Traditional Tudor Cornish did not use the dieresis, so it would not be
>authentic.

I'm afraid we can't afford to have our hands tied
there. The SWF writes <dydh> and <dedh>. The only
way out of this problem is to mark them in some
way. The diaeresis is available and convenient.
Lhuyd did use a single dot above y and a single
dot below u. So... dots are not unknown to
Cornish! :-)

>However, we are in the modern world.
>I could live with <ë> with <ei> as an optional replacement graph for people
>who cannot or don't want to write diacritical marks.
>This would be similar to <ü> / <ue> in German.

But it would lead to dydh/dedh/deidh as spellings
for this word. I don't think we can get away with
this!