[Spellyans] Front unrounded vowels, was: The quantity system

Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Tue Jun 24 22:43:31 IST 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: Owen Cook
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 4:58 PM

{.} "By the bye, is there any evidence for diphthongization in 'devry'?
Gendall's unpublished dictionary mentions only /i:/. I would have expected
diphthongization here.

~~Owen"

I did, too. But I've also looked at the rhymes in the texts and none of the
examples of <deverye>, <tevery> seem to rhyme with final stressed /i:/.
There is also the much more frequently occurring spelling <teffry> which
makes me think that this word may have had initial stress */"tefri/ or
*/"tevri/.