[Spellyans] Front unrounded vowels, was: The quantity system

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Tue Jun 24 22:58:49 IST 2008

At 23:43 +0200 2008-06-24, Daniel Prohaska wrote:

>I very much sympathise with Owen. For me, e/y +
>dewboynt is as easy or difficult to write as e/y
>+ circumflex.

There are many fonts and keyboard drivers which
do not offer y-circumflex or y-acute.

>There is no difference. The circumflex, tome, is
>more logical, as it suggests a long vowel,
>whereas a diaeresis in my association could
>suggest a long or short vowel.

As I said, consider <schön> which is pronounced
[Sø:n] in Standard German and [Se:n] in certain
dialects (and Yiddish). We're not marking the
length in <bës>. We're indicating that it can be
pronounced [be:z] or [bi:z].

>AndŠ uhŠ why are we talking about this? The
>alternation of <y> ~ <e> in the SWF is OK and it
>is also authentic in that it occurred in
>traditional Cornish. This is not an error in the
>SWF in my opinion.

The fact that SWF bes [be:z] 'world' (which has
an alternate pronunciation [bi:z]) is not
distinguished from SWF res [re:z] 'necessary'
(which has no alternate pronunciation) is an
error in my opinion. (That is why we had KS16
beis.)

The fact that SWF bys [bi:z] 'world' (which has
an alternate pronunciation [be:z]) is not
distinguished from SWF bys [bIz] 'until' (which
has a completely different pronunciation) is an
error in my opinion. (That is why we had KS16
bìs.)