[Spellyans] The quantity system

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Wed Jun 25 11:59:28 IST 2008

At 08:38 +0000 2008-06-25, Jon Mills wrote:
>Writing <ia> and <ya> is not a good way to distinguish stress.

Why not? It is regular, it works, it's easy to
learn, and both graphs are found
(indescriminately, it is true) in Traditional
Cornish. It also helps to balance things between
RLC users who tend not to like the letter <y> and
Nancean RMC users who tend not to like the letter
<i>.

>  We currently do not have a way of marking
>irregular stress in words such as mytern ‘king’.
>The only sensible way to mark stress is by using
>a diacritic: mytèrn, profia, provìa.

The SWF distinguishes <ia> [i:@] and <ya> [j@]
and there is nothing wrong with making this
distinction. I don't see you making a convincing
argument against it.