[Spellyans] RLC <h> for <gh>

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Wed Jun 25 13:37:40 IST 2008

At 15:31 +0300 2008-06-25, Owen Cook wrote:

>(The same is not true, by the way, of 'eth, because we ONLY have
>'eyth' attested in the texts. In my opinion conscientious Cornish
>users should write 'eth passim.)

See KS 16 §1.4.3 Note 1:

NOTE 1: Traditional Cornish normally uses the
word <tavas> for 'language', although <eyth>
'language' is used three times in Tregear, which
was not available to Nance when he reconstructed
<yeth>. We recommend distinguishing <eth> [e:T]
'eight, vapour', <êth> [e:T] 'goest, went' and
<yeth> [e:T], [je:T] 'language'.

There are lots of people who do say [je:T]; I
don't have a problem keeping the spelling <yeth>
and saying that it is an exception with two
pronunciations, [e:T] and [je:T].