[Spellyans] bys

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Wed Jun 25 15:13:04 IST 2008

At 15:00 +0100 2008-06-25, A. J. Trim wrote:
>Bys "world" has a long vowel, so the <y> should be an <i>.
>This gives bis and bes as the correct choice.
>Both could be marked with an acute accent if
>desired to show that there is an alternative
>spelling/pronunciation: bís/bés.

That doesn't fix the problem. It just shifts the
problem from the <res>-class words to the
<mis>-class words (mis 'month' [mi:z] has no
*[me:z] form).

>Bys "until" has a short vowel so the <y> should

No, it's [bIz].

>Similarly, with dídh/dédh, prís/prés.

I think that's too great a shift from the SWF. It
would be a very great change for all KK and
UC/UCR users. It's too much.

>There is no need for a diacritic to be on a <y>.
>We are just marking the long vowels (now spelt
>correctly) to show that they have an alternative
>spelling, and not marking the long vowels that
>have just one spelling.

Nice lateral thinking, but I don't believe we can go this far.