[Spellyans] <y Y> + diacritical

Craig Weatherhill weatherhill at freenet.co.uk
Wed Jun 25 19:44:05 IST 2008

I agree that chy, ky are far better that chi, ki, and traditional to
boot.  However, chei and kei are attested and are traditional Cornish
spellings.  Chei is found in several LC texts, whilst place names
include Pedn Kei (near Gurnard's Head).  ei anglicised to ie is found in
both places that are called Carnkie.  Chy in place names is usually the
first, unstressed element and in pronunciation becomes simply ch', so
Chysauster (here comes the proper pronunciation of this heavily
mispronounced name) is ch'ZOYster.

I can only assume that chi was selected as the SWF main form spelling
because, to apply the LC variant would only involve the insertion of one
letter, rather than substitute ei for y.  Strangely, the use of chi does
not bother me nearly as greatly as perhaps it should, now that I've
applied it to several place names to see how it works.

Craig