[Spellyans] Front unrounded vowels, was: The quantity system

nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 20:49:36 IST 2008

Apart from no diacritics, my main objections to SWF are

1. unstressed -ev, -av, -edh, in words like *genev, *warnav,
*myternedh, etc. These are wrong.
2. the ahistorical graph <iw> in diw, piw, niwl.
3. the ahistorical graph i in stressed syllables in ni, chi, whi, ki
'dog', pri, bri.
4. the incoherence in the distribution of <i> and <y> outside
monosyllables. Dan in his dictionary
is bringing some order into this chaos. He now has nyver, lyver and
ryver, for example.
We really need to sort this whole question out.
5. the fact that diacritics are not part of the system
6. the "etymological" spellings in taves 'tongue', mires/meres 'look',
tiek 'farmer' etc.

Nicholas