[Spellyans] short unstressed i

nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 09:36:50 IST 2008

I have shown that KK is completely incoherent in its distribution of
the graphs <i> and <y>.
Because the SWF MF has inherited much of KK the same incoherence is
maintained, rather than simplified.

If we take short unstressed i [I] for example, we notice that it is
spelt with <y> in some words and with <i>
in others. Here are some examples from Dan's dictionary:

kunys 'firewood', palys 'palace' but gonis 'till ground, chalis
'chalice'

kryjyk 'believing', krityk 'critic' but Mestresik 'Miss', meppik
'little boy'

glesin 'lawn', kegin 'kitchen', kennin 'leeks' but termyn 'time',
melyn 'yellow', kemmyn 'common'

jentyl 'gentile' but krokodil 'crocodile'.

These examples contained a short unstressed [I] after the main
stresss. Pretonic [I] is equally chaotic.

How do they expect anyone to learn this?