[Spellyans] <y Y> + diacritical

A. J. Trim ajtrim at msn.com
Fri Jun 27 15:02:23 IST 2008

Michael,

I have managed to unlock the PDF document that I previously posted.
It shows square boxes for <ë> and <ÿ> after transmission by e-mail.

Document locking  during PDF creation has been set up on my laptop as an
automatic security feature.
It was not designed for this kind of collaboration.
However, it is useful because what you see is what you get, and you can be
more sure that nothing has changed in transmission.

I had to unlock this on a different computer.
When I did, a log file was produced -- both files attached.

What does this mean for our use of diacritical marks? I'm not sure.

I think we are OK as far as people writing text is concerned. Users will
find a way that works for them, and printing should not be a problem.

I think that we must accept that electronic transmission of diacritical
marks may produce unexpected odd results from time to time. Angle brackets
can do that too.

Users of other languages must have had this problem. Do they ignore it or do
they have a solution? Are we doing something wrong?

Regards,

Andrew J. Trim