[Spellyans] short unstressed i

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Fri Jun 27 22:22:02 IST 2008

At 22:01 +0100 2008-06-27, nicholas williams wrote:

>>Having said that, Nicholas, what are the imolications for the words
>>you list below:
>>
>>>If we take short unstressed i [I] for example, we notice that it
>>>is spelt with <y> in some words and with <i> in others. Here are
>>>some examples from Dan's dictionary:
>>>
>>>kunys 'firewood', palys 'palace' but gonis 'till ground, chalis 'chalice'
>
>There is not reason for the difference in spelling. I cannot see
>what would be wrong with gonys and chalys.
>
>kryjyk 'believing', krityk 'critic' but Mestresik 'Miss', meppik 'little boy'
>
>KK and SWF use -ik for diminutives and -yk for the adjectival ending.
>I should spell meppyk and Mestresyk as did Nance.

What are the plurals?

>>>glesin 'lawn', kegin 'kitchen', kennin 'leeks' but termyn 'time',
>>>melyn 'yellow', kemmyn 'common'
>
>Why not glesyn, kegyn and kenyn? They are so spelt in UC and UCR

What are the plurals?

>>>jentyl 'gentile' but krokodil 'crocodile'.
>
>I cannot see what is wrong with crocodyl/krokodyl.

What, again, are the plurals or other derivative forms? What is the
transcription of crocodyl? Where is the stress?

In German: [krOkO'di:l]
In English: ['krOk at dail]
Cornish?

>>>These examples contained a short unstressed [I] after the main
>>>stresss. Pretonic [I] is equally chaotic. How do they expect
>>>anyone to learn this?
>
>The rule ought to be that plurals and derivatives of i-words should
>retain i: tir tiryow, gwir, gwiryoneth.

We've got that.

>Elsewhere the default symbol for short i should be y.

I am just wondering if [i:] crops up in any of the derivative forms,
as in colon/colonow. That would be a reason for <i> in final
unstressed syllables. We should be consistent here. If no [i:]
appears, no problem.