[Spellyans] kist, Crist

nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 19:32:00 IST 2008

All ë forms can be written with ÿ.  I write dëdh and bëdh but ÿs
because I say dedh, bedh and ys [i:z]. If I said [di:D] and [bi:D] I
should write dÿdh and bÿdh. Dydh is curious. Tregear always writes
<dith> (13 times) but <an Jeth> (6 times). This, among other things,
makes me think that some bys/bes words had both an [i:] pronunciation
and an [e:] pronunciation.
My preferences follow UCR but others may prefer y to e in some words.
The system is unambiguous, rational, and as far as possible authentic.
Prëv is not attested but preve is. Since we do not write silent e,
prev is the spelling. Since pryf is also attested prëv and prÿv are
both allowed.

Gallas Lucifer droke preve CW 335
ythew an very pryfna CW 1817.

The great advantage of this approach to bys/bes words is that it
doesn't arbitrarily chose pryf and ignore preve or vice versa.

Nicholas