[Spellyans] -ita

A. J. Trim ajtrim at msn.com
Mon Jun 30 23:36:40 IST 2008

Yes, I think you have it about right in KS, regarding <i> and <y>, though I'm still not sure about bÿs/bës words.

Why are despit and constrin quoted as exceptions? Surely, these have stressed <i> = [i:], and so are regular.
I would also expect [I@] and [i:@] to be <ia> (e.g. fia "to flee"), and [ja] to be <ya>(e.g. redya "to read") and I would expect final <-y>, e.g. tyby "to suppose", chy "house".

Initial <i> would be OK but there are exceptions (e.g. yw "is", y "his", yma/ymons, ytho). These will need to be in a very short list else they will need to be predictable -- "function" word is too vague a term.
What happens when a word starts with <gy-> or <gi-> under soft mutation? Does it become <y-> or <i-> respectively, or do they all become <i->?
How do we know whether yn gwir is "truly" (with missing mutation) or in gwir "in truth", and does "in truth" mean "truly" anyway?
I can live with it, if that is what you want to do, but I think that I would prefer not to have this initial <i> rule. It appears to be cosmetic only and without function.

Regards,

Andrew J. Trim