[Spellyans] y-umlaut in 'Beunans Meriasek' ?

ajtrim at msn.com ajtrim at msn.com
Fri Nov 21 12:44:13 GMT 2008

As so many words ending in -ys are spelt -ijs, -yys, -is, or -yes in the texts, and as doubling the vowel was used to indicate a long vowel, and adding an e could be used for the same, why do we think -ys  was pronounced short, i.e. [Iz]. Surely long but unstressed, i.e. [i:s] or [i:z] is more likely.

I know that this goes against the notion that long vowels only occur in stressed syllables but that is what the evidence is indicating.

Regards,

Andrew J. Trim