[Spellyans] "become" with nouns

nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 14:11:01 GMT 2008

Degoyth is a compound of cotha 'fall'. The stress is on the first
syllable.
Gostoyth is gostyth in CW and the second syllable is unstressed.
Not infrequently boys 'to be' is written, although the word never had
a diphthong.
This, I believe, is because oy (OC ui) monophthongised to o: and thus
fell together with o:
from other sources.
This is why bos to be is often boys, and boys 'food' < OC buit is
often bos.

Nicholas