[Spellyans] "become" with nouns

Ray Chubb ray at spyrys.org
Tue Nov 4 11:18:57 GMT 2008

On 31 Hed 2008, at 12:30, nicholas williams wrote:

> The important point for the revival is that 'become' should not be
> rendered *mos/dos ha bos in Cornish.
> When the predicate is adjectival (and this includes items like
> leper) the verb mos is used by itself.
> If the predicate is a noun, the verb used for 'become' is bos and
> the past is rendered by the preterite.
> In revived Cornish we should therefore say:
> Ev yw gyllys clâv 'He has become sick' but Hy a veu y wreg 'She
> became his wife', Ev a veu medhek 'He became a doctor'.
>
> Mos/dos ha bos is a Nancean fiction.
>
> Nicholas

and yet there are other constructions in the texts that have verb+ha
+verbal noun.  Therefore it was not unreasonable of Nance to assume a
'dos ha bos' or 'mos ha bos' construction and I am rather surprised
that no examples can be found in the texts.  For clarity I shall
continue to use Nance's construction.

Ray Chubb

Portreth
Kernow