[Spellyans] "become" with nouns

nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 12:21:18 GMT 2008

On 4 Nov 2008, at 11:18, Ray Chubb wrote:

> and yet there are other constructions in the texts that have verb+ha
> +verbal noun

Indeed:

Cryst kymmys payn yn geve angus tyn ha galarow ma teth an goys ha
dropye war y fas an caradow PA 59ab
me a glewas leuerell an arlont y ze denne war y ben gans kymmys nell
ma teth an dreyn ha cropye zen nempynnyon dre an tell PA 134a-c

But Cornish does not seem to use dos ha bos (at least I have not yet
found an example). I have, however, found another example of the
preterite meaning 'became':

Bythqueth ny vue vays in pov aban vys crystyan heb wov 'Never has
there been any good in the country, since you became a Christian' BM
3968-69.

There is nothing to stop revivalists' using dos ha bos; it does not
seem wholly authentic, however.

Look incidentally at these two lines:

ziso y fue servont lel ‘to thee he was (preterite) a loyal servant’ BM
4339 [Michael to Christ in heaven]
eff o lel servont ihesu ‘he was (imperfect) a loyal servant of Jesus’
BM 4379 [the bishop of Cornouaille].

What is the contrast there?