[Spellyans] "become" with nouns

Owen Cook owen.e.cook at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 16:41:48 GMT 2008

In Turkish, the verb 'olmak' stands for 'be' and 'become'
indifferently. I have quite a job trying to explain to Turkish ESL
students that we use 'be' for states staying the same, and 'become'
for states changing. Once they do finally grasp the distinction, they
wonder why we trouble ourselves with it, because they assume context
will always make it clear whether things are changing or not. It seems
that Cornish stands somewhat on the side of Turkish here. One wonders
whether 'mos ha bos' was not an example of anglicizing Cornish by
calque, the same way that 'neuvya' was invented to translate 'swim'.

Yn lel,
~~Owen

Nicholas rug screfa: