[Spellyans] "become" with nouns

nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 17:01:52 GMT 2008

I am sure you are right. Yet the anglicism dos ha bos is quite
unnecessary.

The 'become' sense of bos in Cornish is clear because of the
difference between o and beu.
At BK 94 we read: Ow lester a ve lehan 'My boat was a stone slab', but
we could also translate this as 'A slab became my boat'.

Another way of saying 'become' in Cornish is a yw gwrës, e.g.

an bara ew gwres kig agen arluth Christ 'the bread becomes the flesh
of our Lord Christ' SA 62 .

The verb dos + ha + vn. is used mostly in conditional sentences:

mar ten ha menegas agan pehosow du ew lene a vercy 'if we confess our
sins God is full of mercy' TH 8.

dos ha bos 'become' is not good Cornish, I believe.

Nicholas