[Spellyans] Get well soon

Eddie Climo eddie_climo at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Nov 10 19:09:37 GMT 2008

The sentiment of the card is unexceptionable, and the art-work is
better than a lot of what one sees in Cornish. The author is to be
commended for an attractive productin, However, I agree that the
language used is not good enough.

Nicholas has addressed the misuse of 'gwell', in an obvious
translation of the English idiom. But the other solecism is the use
of the imperative; you cannnot ORDER someone to get healthier -- such
eventualities are in the hands of the gods, and the medical profession.

Better would have been, as Nicholas suggests, to use the subjunctive,
and say simply:

Re by/beugh yagh yn scon.

Eddie.