[Spellyans] Easter morning, etc.

Jon Mills j.mills at email.com
Wed Nov 12 14:16:31 GMT 2008

The Cornish word for day is attested sometimes with <e> and sometimes with <y>.
Pascon agan Arluth: dezyow, dyth, geyth, gyth, tez
Ordinalia: deth; deyth; du; dyth; dythyow; geth; geyth; gyth; thythow; thythyow; tyth
Ton (1504): deth; ddeth; geth; du-; dethyou; dyzyow; dythyou; dyzyow
Jordan (1611): dyth, dythyow, geth, gyth, thethyow
Kerew: deeth, deethyow, dethyow
However, when it is a bound morpheme, as in the days of the week and the holidays, the tendency is towards <u>. Why the difference?
Jon