[Spellyans] y-umlaut in 'Beunans Meriasek' ?

Eddie Climo eddie_climo at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Nov 20 17:55:39 GMT 2008

An idle query: I'm currently reading the e-book edition of Whitley
Stokes' edition of Beunans Meriasek, which can be downloaded free of
charge from:
> http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=meriasek

An oddity that I've noticed repeatedly is the use of < ij >, as in ll.
314-316:

> Ny yv plesijs hag a vyn
> boys revlijs drethogh certeyn
>    ha meriasek kekefrys ...

In Dutch, as best I recall, this digraph is used as an alternative
for < y umlaut >. Might this be the case here as well, giving us:
> plesijs, revlijs > plesÿs, revlÿs

Eddie Foirbeis Climo
Dres ethom akennow byner re bons lyeshes
Accenti non multiplicanda praeter necessitatem