[Spellyans] y-umlaut in 'Beunans Meriasek' ?

nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 10:29:50 GMT 2008

<ij> is common in both BM and PA, in which latter texts one finds, for
example,

dyspresijs
convyctijs
temptijs.

In such cases <ijs> occurs at the end of the verbal adjective of
verbs in -ya.
Elsewhere in PA and in other texts, comparable verbal adjectives are
spelt with <yy>:

gwarnyys
formyys
playnyys.

There are also examples of the same ending spelt <yes>:

granntyes
lettyes
tackyes.

It is also sometimes written <is>:

grontis
syttis
dyzgtis

or as <ys>:

grontys
formys
dyghtys.

Where <ijs> occurs in rhyme, it rhymes with -ys:

kyllys ~ mevijs ~ genys ~ bys PA 4
sperys ~ convyctijs ~ parys ~ danvenys PA 18
ordys ~ apposijs BM 521, 525.

Since <ijs> is unstressed and monosyllabic
in such verbal adjectives, it seems reasonable to assume that <ijs>
is a written variant only, and is to be pronounced either [I at z] or [Iz].

This is not the same desinence as in <goliys> 'wounded', <chastiys>
'chastised', which is disyllabic.

Nicholas