[Spellyans] Introducing myself

John Nash mim.oldwellstudio at btinternet.com
Fri Nov 21 10:44:34 GMT 2008

I'm John Nash, an artist and writer living in Lamorna. My interest in
this discussion list is a general one of wishing support the more
extended use of Cornish in Cornwall. Although not native Cornish and
sadly lacking in ability to speak more than a few phrases, I've had a
relationship with west Cornwall for over 30 years and have lived in
Lamorna for the past 8 years. I'm a founder member of Cowethas Peran
Sans, which is working within and outside of the church to encourage
study of the celtic origins of the church in Cornwall, a use of
Cornish in parts of the liturgy, and an increased use of, and
appreciation of, the numerous ancient holy sites and places of
Christian pilgrimage in Cornwall.
As an artist I use Cornish in my work and have a particular interest
in celtic lettering styles. With the agreement now for a Standard
Written Form, ie standard spelling, which was almost essential if
Cornish was to be more extensively used in public signage and
documents, I'd be interested in any work being done regarding its
visual look. In particular typefaces, and opinions on how important
this in the future of Cornish public signage and the written word.