[Spellyans] y-umlaut in 'Beunans Meriasek' ?

ajtrim at msn.com ajtrim at msn.com
Sat Nov 22 16:14:30 GMT 2008

Daniel,

Your explanation is the one that I have believed till now. Verbs ending -ya [j@] form their past participles in -yes [j at s] / [j at z], where the [@] is likely to have been "i-coloured".

However, looking at Beunans Meriasek, -ya verbs form their past participles in -yes, -yys, -ijs, -ys, and -is.
They all rhyme.

This makes me think that [i:s] / [i:z] could be a possibility.

The word revlijs would be easier to pronounce if it were rewlis rather than if it were rewlyes.
The spellings suggest a long unstressed vowel.
Craig reports that final [i:z] can be heard today (in the English of the very far south-west).
Both plesijs and revlijs appear to be borrowings from English.

Finally, as mentioned in my earlier posting:
In lines 555 & 556, filij rhymes with yly.

Regards,

Andrew J. Trim