[Spellyans] y-umlaut in 'Beunans Meriasek' ?

Ray Chubb ray at spyrys.org
Sat Nov 22 20:00:18 GMT 2008

Some time ago I noted that Dick Gendall in 'Kernewek Bew', (which I
think he now disowns), had the rule that verbs derived from English,
i.e. those ending in 'ya' had 'yes' in the past participle and those
that didn't had 'ys'.  This I thought was a good rule that I have
stuck to ever since.

That is why I always write; 'Kernewek Unyes' not 'Kernewek Unys'.
Others, who shall be nameless, seem to think that the two endings are
interchangeable, I am not sure that they are.

On 22 Du 2008, at 14:18, Daniel Prohaska wrote:

> Andrew, Michael, Nicholas,
> My explanation is that -ijs, -yys, -yes, -iyz etc. stand for [jIs]
> or [jIz]. As far as I can see they occur in the verbal adjectives of
> verbs with the verbal noun ending -ya [j@], so I suspect the [j] was
> “imported” from the verbal noun and that this class of verbs forms
> its verbal adjective with /jIs/.
> Dan

Ray Chubb

Portreth