[Spellyans] Introducing myself and 'historical standard Cornish' HSC

Ray Chubb ray at spyrys.org
Sun Nov 23 09:23:20 GMT 2008

Fair enough, but when I talk about 'historical standard Cornish' I am
talking about Cornish that derived from the Glasney College scribal
tradition.  I don't include Lhuyd, Rowe and Boson in this.  Within
this tradition 'skant' for example only appears to occur once while
'scant' appears on three occasions.  I really do think we need to
distinguish between rare examples and the most common examples.  The
principle that was the basis of Unified Cornish.  This is especially
important if, like me, you want your Cornish to have a Cornish
appearance.  Guess I should start writing 'onyn' now not 'onen' :-)

By the way I heard a pronunciation of 'onan' yesterday which confirmed
my worst fears.  Speakers with a Cornish accent are pronouncing 'onan'
with a long 'a'.

Thanks to Michael for providing the information that enabled me to do
the counts.

Ray Chubb

Portreth
Kernow