[Spellyans] y-umlaut in 'Beunans Meriasek' ?

ajtrim at msn.com ajtrim at msn.com
Sun Nov 23 12:59:57 GMT 2008

Anyone,

How do we account for this variation in the spelling of <-ys> if the sound of the vowel was simply that of a short <y>?

So far we have three theories:

1) Some words had [j] before the ending and some didn't and the difference was blurred or ignored in rhyme.
2) They all had [j], sometimes spelt but often not spelt.
3) They are all long], sometimes spelt but often not spelt.

Regards,

Andrew J. Trim