[Spellyans] y-umlaut in 'Beunans Meriasek' ?

nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 15:44:26 GMT 2008

Tregear has:

In mar ver dell ew lymmyn infancy passys in oys den TH 28
han brontyryan in tyrmyn passis TH 39
rag lyas blethan tremenys ha passyys TH 40a
In termyn passyes, pan esans ow hagrea TH 49a.

It may be that there were two forms: [pasj at z] <passyys, passyes> and
[pasIz] <passys, passis>.
Or there may have been one pronunciation [pasIz] only.
In the light of passiez in JCH, perhaps the first possibility is the
more likely.

Nicholas