[Spellyans] Onan

Ray Chubb ray at spyrys.org
Sun Nov 23 17:31:44 GMT 2008

On 23 Du 2008, at 11:27, Craig Weatherhill wrote:

> Please tell me you're joking, Ray?  Who on earth has gone and
> replaced a schwa with a long vowel?  Was it one of the much self-
> proclaimed "fluent/effective speakers"?  I shall refrain from making
> the obvious punning comment.
>

> Craig

'Onan' was always part of Common Cornish and unfortunately it is now
part of the SWF.  The Council have put forward the 'Onan hag Oll'
motto as part of the re-vamped logo for the new unitary authority and
immediately were told that they had used the wrong spelling.  They of
course defended their action by saying it was the new standard
spelling.  Guess it's a case of inferior logo, inferior spelling.

Ray Chubb

Portreth
Kernow