[Spellyans] Onan

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Mon Nov 24 10:43:37 GMT 2008

On 24 Nov 2008, at 10:03, Daniel Prohaska wrote:

> Ray, Craig,
> I found 49 examples of the spelling <onan> in Middle Cornish as well
> as another 24 examples of <honan>. It’s an authentic spelling.

Attested. A lot of things are attested; doesn't make it the right
spelling for Revived Cornish.  It remains One of the pernicious
elements of the SWF that George's "etymologically correct" forms were
"accepted" holus-bolus. In particular, the use of *this* word in a
traditional phrase known by everyone in Cornwall is a powerful
argument against re-spelling it.

In KS we shall spell "onen" and "honen".