[Spellyans] Onan

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Mon Nov 24 12:10:02 GMT 2008

On 24 Nov 2008, at 11:55, <ajtrim at msn.com> wrote:

> We should not get too worked up about existing spelling choices and
> expensive paint jobs on vans.
> Some English mottos are still in Latin. We don't try to correct or
> change those.

In this case we do not want to change "Onen hag oll" to "Onan hag oll"
simply because George thought it was "etymologically correct". Even if
we did accept all of his etymologies, *this* word should not have been
changed because of its currency throughout Cornwall.

> These should be based on traditional spellings and the proposed
> underlying phonology.
>
> I would go for allowing both <onyn> and <onen>.
>
> Although <onan> is better attested than <onen> it does not seem to
> fit our proposed orthography as well.
> The form <onyn> should be allowed as it is the most common form.

We aren't making choices based on statistics alone.

I would prefer <onen> because <onyn> will suggest an i-coloured schwa.
And it is also a change in "Onen hag oll" which we should not want to
change.