[Spellyans] Easter morning, etc.

ajtrim at msn.com ajtrim at msn.com
Mon Nov 24 19:09:03 GMT 2008

I think that the spelling is in free variation.
I don't know what the sound was, or whether it was constant or variable, but
I believe that they were intended to rhyme.

We had at least three theories. See my previous post (below.)
Since then a fourth theory has been added: 4) The ending <-ys> was short
just a medieval quirk - more or less confined to past participles.

I have not seen any evidence for dialectal, sociolectal or idiolectal
What did you have in mind?

Andrew J. Trim