[Spellyans] honen and onen

Ray Chubb ray at spyrys.org
Tue Nov 25 08:41:57 GMT 2008

I note that an earlier spec. for the SWF had 'onan' but 'honen', so
how did 'honan' slip in?

My concern in all this is that the very people who we would most like
to learn Cornish, (I hope that is the view of us all), will pronounce
the 'a' in both cases as a long 'a'.  This concern overrides any
argument about etymology or a rule that vowels had to follow KK.

On 24 Du 2008, at 20:34, nicholas williams wrote:

> It is not traditional. I suspect it came from my dictionary. But if
> Gorseth Kernow is using it, it is in use and honan, although a
> traditional spelling is out of alignment with it.
>
> Nicholas
>
> On 24 Nov 2008, at 19:17, Daniel Prohaska wrote:
>
>> Is <honensys> a traditionally attested word? Could the /e/ come
>> from secondary i-umlaut of /a/?
>> Dan

Ray Chubb

Portreth